Thursday, May 28, 2009

honduras

So I have now moved on from Nica. I left on Saturday after our big night out (which was quite fun). It was hard to say say adios to SJdS, but I'll be back. I took a longish bus ride to Managua - standing and crowded almost the entire way... ugh. There I met up with a Swiss dude who had also studied in the school for a week, we have similar plans for travel and are both solo, so we decided to travel together for a bit. After an eventful night of poweroutages and good food in Managua we caught our 5 a.m. bus to San Pedro Sula, Honduras. In total, I think we were on the bus that day for about 13 or 14 hours. We stopped in Tegucigulpa for an hour too. We finally made it to San Pedro and met up with some other backpackers and went to a hostel in town, the city is supposidly not that safe, so we made a big group dinner and drank some beers (by the way, I already miss Tona - the Nica beer) at the hostel and relaxed. From San Pedro we headed to Utila, were we are now.

I decided to give SCUBA a chance while here in Utila, it is supposidly one of the cheapest places to get your certification. After some classes and exercises underwater, I decided that it probably isn't for me at the moment. I didn't feel comfortable after many chances hanging out down there, maybe some other time...

Last night we had some serious excitement on this little island. They had an earthquake - 7.1 to be exact. It was quite a feeling, I was on the lower part of a bunkbed and my guess was that the guy above me was having a seizure when the bed started to move, but then I noticed the other bed was moving too and everything else in the room. Pretty wild! It went on for about 10 seconds I think. Of course, the place we are staying is right on the water too, so the thought was tsunami... we all grabbed a couple of things and headed for the hill (mostly since we noticed all the locals doing this). After a fun 3 a.m. hike with a local family though a forest we made it to the top of the hill, when we got there they started singing and praying. It was all actually pretty cool. We stayed up there until sunrise, and then some. After a while we decided all was well and headed back. I think I got 1 hour of sleep last night...

Heading out of here on Saturday to Copan.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear all is well! Honduras has been all over the news here today. Keep up the good work with the posts. Cheers man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy crap! that is a wicked story. come home soon!

    ReplyDelete