Monday, January 5, 2009

It begins...

OK... I think this is going to be quite a trip, I can hardly even remember where I left off...

After arrival in Lima, I ran into some of the tripmates and we toured around Lima centro. There are 28 in all and 2 guides. Quite an interesting group, mostly Aussies and one other American. Most are around my age, well travelled and here for a good time.

After a decent night sleep we headed out of Lima at about 6:30 a.m. From there we travelled south, down the coast about 3 hours and took a boat out to the Ballestra (sp?) Islands - they were basically plots of land cover in bird poo (so the smell was great). It was a nice boat ride, we got to see lots different birds (even penguins) and sea lions.

From there we headed to the desert (some massive sand dunes). We then took a trip to go dune bashing on some dune buggies - was just like I did when I visited Oman, except we didn't get to drive. It was an awesome trip and we also went "sledding" (on snowboards) down the dunes, that was pretty sweet until I got a gash in my hand - but all is good. We spent the night in the desert and camped under the stars, sounds pretty tame, but really everyone drank too many pisco sours (the local drink) and passed out. After a rough a.m. for many, we dune bashed back to the truck and were on our way. Today has been pretty chill - we are in Nazcra and I have spent most of the day in the pool and hanging out - perfect weather. Glad to be where it is summer!

2 comments:

  1. I have a little notebook (like 4 x 4) that I try to write in when traveling, when I got up in the morning, downtimes etc. That way I didn't forget what I did and where. Harder to do at night if you have too many pisco sours...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helmets, not head first, avoid congested areas is the recommendation for Iowa sledding. Apparently avoid sharp objects needs to be added to dune sledding! Keep it clean. BGMom

    ReplyDelete