Saturday, June 6, 2009

tikal y belize

We moved on from Flores to a little town closer to Tikal so we could get an early start at the ruins. El Remate , wasn't really much of a town, but we ended up staying @ some little "hippie hut" on the side of a hill. Interesting place... to say the least. We met some nice French Canadians who were also staying there that we ended up hanging out with them that night and visited the ruins with them the next day.

We caught the bus for Tikal at 5:30 a.m. and literally were there for the National Park gates to open. The best part about the drive into the park was all the animal crossing signs on the road (turkey, jaguar, snakes, anteater, pizote, etc.) we thought this was really hilarious. Tikal was amazing, the temples were massive and we were able to climb up lots of them. The whole site was in the middle of jungle too, so we would be walking through the jungle and then another massive temple/site would appear. Pretty amazing. There was also tons of wild life in the park - monkeys, birds and other little creatures scurrying about. After about 8 hours there I was beat... after the park we headed back to Flores.

The next day I split paths with Micael, the Swiss guy I had been traveling with and headed to Belize and he headed towards Antigua. Belize has been great - I have spent all of my time on Caye Caulker, a beautiful little island about 45 minutes north of the city. I have basically spent all of my time here relaxing, partying with new friends, swimming, snorkeling and wandering around the island. It has been a really peaceful way to end my time in centroamerica. Tomorrow I am headed back to CO... I am not quite ready to leave let, but I am certain that I will be back to many of these places in the future!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it to Belize. I will send Glenn your post. Hope you are safely back in CO tonight.

    ReplyDelete